Tuesday 24 July 2007

Amanda's Banana Walnut or Date Cake

This recipe was given to me by my wonderful older sister, Amanda. The recipe card has a few stains on it - I can remember my sister and all her friends putting together a set of recipe cards for one of their girlfriends who was getting married. I was lucky enough to get a photocopy of the cards. I duly cut them up and stuck them on my own cards (a sort of fluro orange). It too is a family favourite an never lasts long at my house.
I hope you like this one too Jo!

Banana Walnut or Date Cake

125g (4oz) butter
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
3 very ripe small bananas
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup chopped walnuts/dates
1 cup self-raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda

Method:

Have butter and eggs at room temperature. Mash bananas finely with a fork (you should have 3/4 cup of mashed bananas). Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add bananas and vanilla, beat on low speed until well combined. Stir in walnuts/dates, then sifted flour and soda in two lots. Mix well. Spread mixture into well greased 20cm (8 in) ring tin, bake in moderate oven for 40mins, or until cooked (when tested). Stand for a few minutes before turning onto wire rack to cool.

Notes:

I always make it in a loaf tin - cooking time is about the same.
Can't decide which I like better bu the dates definitely lead to a moister cake.
Freezes well...I normally slice before freezing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lis I will definately try this one .Guess what I watched ? carbon cops the other night . What a great show. Oh no what is happening to me I think I am turning green!! Off to Mandys this morning Have a nice day

Jo XOXOXO