Tuesday 17 July 2007

Inspiration

Certain major events in your life always make one think about how you are travelling. Going in hospital last week scared me a little and made me realise how much my family means to me. I guess there is always a risk with any anaesthetic and I did make sure I told my children that I loved them as well as my boyfriend and tried to spend lots of time with them the few days prior to my day surgery. Of course I came through with flying colours but it made me think about how I am living my life and what I would change given the opportunity. Being a single parent has made me frugal in a lot of ways, but I guess I still have things I like to splurge on. I have spent more time reading more blogs about people who are living simpler, more sustainable lives. I guess this is a path I am exploring and may eventually want to head down.

One person who really inspires me is Rhonda and her Down to Earth blog. I loved her post today about "convincing the family" and these words in particular summed up what I am trying to achieve with my family:
"It's more about giving up what you can do without so you have money for things that are important."

I have to say though that on the whole my children are great, they remember to turn off lights and since my son did a unit at school last term on sustainable living we have had a bucket in the shower. I mostly make a lot of our food from scratch, due to my son's food intolerances. I am taking baby steps to achieve my long term goal.

Other things I am trying for the first time are :
-growing my own veggies my spinach and bok-choy are growing very slowly, but given the prices of green vegetable right now i will start to give them a little more TLC to see if I can harvest the young leaves soon.
-a compost heap, which has been somewhat neglected, but as I have a few days off on the weekend I am hoping the weather will co-operate and I can mow the lawn (i.e. weeds) and fork over the compost heap!

Wish me luck !
Take care of you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good on you Lisa , I think I should too make a much more concerted effort to change the way we live. i think I will go and read the blog that inspires you.
Hope you are feeling better and speak to you soon

Jo xoxo

Lis said...

Rhanda lives "elegant simplicity" as another blogger so succintly pu it. Hope you enjoy reading it as much as I do. Am back to being 100% and feeling much better:)
Thanks for visiting
xx

Rhonda Jean said...

Lisa, I'm so pleased to read your surgery went well. Those things usually make me reassess as well. Thank you for your kinds words about my blog. I hope I am helping others, but I never relly know.

Hard Drive Repairs Fremont said...

Nice bblog