Thursday 26 July 2007

Budgeting for beginners...

Something I have been trying to do for a while is track where my money goes to see if I can save a bit more, or even pay more of my mortgage. So far my efforts have been a little slack, so after doing a bit of reading and surfing the net I have decided to try the envelope system (also known as the plastic bag system). It basically entails setting up an envelope/bag for each expense category with the amount to be allocated written on the outside. Then each week/fortnight/month (for my purposes I am going to try f/n) you withdraw the full total and allocate ti to each of the bags. If you want to read more about it head over to the Aussies Living Simply forum and read the thread on Living within your means :) Also another blog I've been reading had a nice explanation of her system and the categories she uses is busy woman at her blog A vision splendid.
I will do my first f/n withdrawal on Monday so will give you a progress report in a couple of weeks and let you know how it is going (or not!). Thanks also to Kez for her menu plan for the month, this girl shops monthly...I'd love to be able to do that one day :)

Anyways, my back has had another session at the physio so I am still not allowed to sit for long.
Off to collect children form swimming.
Take care of you.

5 comments:

Kez said...

Oooh oooh oooh - I don't think I've been linked to before :) Thanks!

I use the envelope system for groceries, petrol, household stuff, medical (chiro, chemist etc), and entertainment. I love it - it saves me heaps!

Lis said...

No problem, was just about to post on your blog and add you to my "blogs that inspire me" :)

A Vision Splendid said...

Thanks for the link Lisa and good luck with the budget. I find it really empowering to take control so your money doesn't control you !

Lis said...

I hope so Busy :) I notice Rhonda also has a pos this morning about budgeting too.

lightening said...

I hope it works out well for you. I've not ever tried this method but I kind of do it on paper (well in a book actually). At the start of each month I enter our budgetted amount for each category and then as I spend, I subtract that from the total.

I'm kinda bad with cash so this system works well for me. Having said that, I'm starting to use more cash instead of using the credit card and paying it off each month and I think that's helping with my overall spending. So I might end up using this kind of system for at least some categories at some point in the future.

Good Luck with it and let us know how it goes.